The G&L ASAT® Special just might be the quintessential G&L guitar, viewed by many as Leo’s ultimate single-cutaway. Back in 1985, Leo Fender† launched this model under the G&L Broadcaster name, which prompted a response from Fred Gretsch of Gretsch Guitars over the name just as it had thirty-five years earlier. History buffs will recall that the Broadkaster® name is owned by Gretsch, and once again, a Broadcaster from Leo was required to have its name changed. This time around, the name became “ASAT” which is US military shorthand for an “Anti-Satellite” missile.
The ASAT Special, as the model became known, features jumbo single-coil Magnetic Field Design™ pickups, each with a narrow bobbin aperture for a coil which is shallow yet wide. In this regard, an MFD™ jumbo single coil is similar to a P-90 or Jazzmaster® pickup, yet the MFD principle provides a punchier bottom end and brighter top end sparkling with harmonics. Leo further departed with the past with the addition of his innovative Saddle-Lock™ bridge which transfers string energy right into the body end-grain for an incredibly resonant instrument. The result is one of the most versatile guitars ever, serving up ballsy twang to searing blues to smooth jazz tones.This Option Order Instrument features the following special order features:
- Indian Rosewood Fingerboard
- Stainless Steel Frets
- Light Tint Vintage Satin Neck Finish
- 4-Ply Tortoiseshell Pickguard
- Cream Pickup Covers
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 25 1/2"
- PICKUPS: Leo Fender†-designed jumbo G&L MFD™ single coils made in Fullerton, California
- BODY WOOD: Alder
- NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Indian Rosewood fingerboard
- NECK PROFILE: G&L Modern Classic* with 9 1/2" radius
- NUT: 100% natural bone
- FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, Jescar 57110 Stainless Steel
- TUNING KEYS: 12:1 ratio, sealed-back
- BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle-Lock™ with chrome-plated brass saddles
- CONTROLS: 3-position pickup selector, volume, tone
- CASE: deluxe Tolex hardshell
*Modern Classic Neck has a 1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing, which allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off. Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret.